Gardening is a great way to save money on groceries and enjoy fresh produce at home. However, for those who rely on the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), also known as EBT, buying plants and gardening supplies can be a challenge. In this article, we will answer the question: Can you buy plants with EBT at Walmart?
EBT at Walmart
Walmart is one of the largest retailers in the United States and accepts EBT as a form of payment for eligible food items. EBT cards are issued to low-income individuals and families who qualify for SNAP benefits. These benefits can be used to purchase food items such as fruits, vegetables, meat, dairy, and bread.
However, EBT cannot be used to buy non-food items such as household supplies, pet food, and gardening supplies. This means that you cannot use your EBT card to buy plants at Walmart, right? Not necessarily.
Buying Plants with EBT
While EBT cannot be used to buy plants directly, there is a way to use your benefits to purchase plants at Walmart. The trick is to buy edible plants that are considered food items. This includes herbs, fruits, and vegetables that you can grow and harvest for your own consumption.
When you buy these plants, make sure to keep the receipt and label them as food items. This will help you avoid any confusion or issues at the checkout. You can also use your EBT benefits to buy gardening supplies such as soil, fertilizer, and pots, as long as they are used for growing food.
It is important to note that not all Walmart stores may allow EBT for edible plants and gardening supplies. It is best to check with your local store beforehand or call Walmart’s customer service to confirm.
Tips for Gardening on a Budget
Gardening can be a great way to save money on groceries, but it can also be expensive if you don’t plan ahead. Here are some tips for gardening on a budget:
- Start small: Don’t try to grow everything at once. Start with a few plants that you know you will use and enjoy.
- Buy seeds instead of plants: Seeds are much cheaper than plants and can be grown indoors before transplanting outside.
- Reuse containers: Instead of buying new pots and containers, use old ones or repurpose items such as buckets and milk jugs.
- Make your own compost: Composting is a great way to fertilize your plants for free. Use food scraps, yard waste, and other organic materials to create nutrient-rich soil.
- Join a community garden: If you don’t have space or resources to garden at home, consider joining a community garden where you can share resources and knowledge with others.
While EBT cannot be used to buy plants directly, you can use your benefits to purchase edible plants and gardening supplies at Walmart. This can be a great way to save money on groceries and enjoy fresh produce at home. Just make sure to check with your local store beforehand and keep your receipts and labels in order to avoid any issues at the checkout.
You are looking : can you buy plants with ebt at walmart